Parent Resources


Below are commonly used resources that you may find useful for your student. 

Public Safety and Security 
DPSS | 734-763-1131

  • Dean of Students

    • The Dean of Students Office promotes student development and enhances students’ Michigan experience through programs, services, partnerships/connections, and policy development that promotes an inclusive campus climate and facilitates the successful navigation of campus life.
  • Personal Wellbeing

    • Personal well-being is a life-long journey. To help guide that journey, we are building a culture of well-being across the University of Michigan. Where students embrace the concept that success in life goes beyond the classroom and their careers. Connecting them to the resources that facilitate finding deeper meaning, balance and purpose in their lives and a greater sense of vitality. Through a holistic approach they can achieve personal and mindful awareness of well-being that is directly connected and relevant to their lives both now and in the future. 


  • Collegiate Recovery Program (CRP)

    • The Collegiate Recovery Program provides a supportive community where students in recovery can achieve academic success while enjoying a genuine college experience, free from alcohol and other drugs.


    • CRP is not a clinical treatment program; rather it is a recovery support service. CRP staff do not provide clinical treatment or therapy. Students who need treatment may be referred elsewhere prior to admittance to CRP.


  • Counseling And Psychological Services (CAPS)

    • Student Life’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides confidential psychological and psychiatric services for currently enrolled U-M undergraduate and graduate students in an atmosphere that is welcoming, comfortable, and multi-culturally sensitive. If you’re wondering which CAPS services might be right for you, check out the videos and other details here describing students’ options.


    • If your student is currently receiving mental health care, visit the Counseling and Psychological Services website for recommendations for transferring care to providers at U-M or other providers in Ann Arbor.


    • If you are concerned about your student and want to recommend counseling support for them at CAPS, we encourage you to look at all the free, confidential counseling options available to them as a first step in finding appropriate help for your student.


  • Services for Students with Disabilites (SSD)

    • The mission of ​SSD is to support the University’s commitment to equity and diversity by providing support services and academic accommodations to students with disabilities. The office shares information, promotes awareness of disability issues, and provides support of a decentralized system of access for students within the University community.
    • The SSD office provides accommodations and services free of charge to students that register with us. Depending on the type and severity of the disability, the SSD office makes every effort to provide the appropriate accommodation for academic success. The services in this section are those that registered SSD students can receive through arrangement with their disability coordinator.
    • Disabilities may include chronic health or mental health conditions, learning disorders as well as visual, hearing and mobility impairments
  • Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC)

    • All services are free and confidential to the University of Michigan community and are provided by professional SAPAC staff members


    • If you are a concerned friend, partner, or family member:you may also contact us. We acknowledge that hearing about a loved one in a painful situation can be difficult. Often supporters experience feelings of powerlessness in not knowing how to respond to a survivor.


  • Ombuds

    • The Office of the Ombuds is a place where students' questions, complaints and concerns about the functioning of the University can be discussed confidentially in a safe environment. We offer informal dispute resolution services, provides resources and referrals, and helps students consider options available to them. The Office operates independently as a supplement to existing administrative and formal dispute resolution processes and has no formal decision–making authority. The Office is not an advocate for either side in a dispute. Instead, the Ombuds Office is an impartial advocate for fair and consistent treatment. The Office reports administratively to the Vice President for Student Life.

  • Spectrum Center

    • With sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression as a framework, the Spectrum Center is committed to enriching the campus experience and developing students as individuals and as members of communities. Our work is accomplished through student-centered education, outreach, advocacy and support.


  • Student Legal Services (SLS)
    • ​We at Student Legal Services (“SLS”) are staffed by competent, dedicated, and caring attorneys.  When combined, our attorneys have more than 50-years of legal experience to include positive relationships with Washtenaw county's prosecutors, judges, and other local attorneys.
    • Truly, we all understand that defending a legal issue can be overwhelming for not only your student, but his/her family.  Further, without legal advice and/or representation, a promising academic career and/or future job prospects can be negatively derailed.  Because of this, our attorneys, as well as, our entire staff is dedicated to assisting your student pursue the most advantageous course of action.