We recognize the unique living arrangments of most FSL students and have developed a set of frequently asked questions (FAQs) to help inform students, families, and the inter/national organizations understand the local resources related to COVID-19 exposure, testing, quarantine, and isolation. This information was forwarded to all of the affiliated students by email. 

These FAQs include those from a number of information sources currently available on university websites. We are bringing them together in one place for you. This information is especially focused on the needs of students who live in chapter facilities and other group settings other than university residence halls.  


What are the campus plans for winter 2022 at U-M?

The Maize and Blue Print has the most current information.

What is the current mask policy?

As of June 21, 2021 those who are not vaccinated or decline to submit vaccination information must continue wearing a face covering indoors and physically distance from others.

How do students report vacination status?

Students are encourage to report vacination status and can be done through Wolverine Access. Additional information can be found here.


What if I have COVID-19 symptoms and want to get tested?

Complete the testing questionnaire from UHS and answer every question to the best of your knowledge.

Medical staff will review it to determine when testing is appropriate and can administer tests on site.

What if I get tested for COVID-19 outside of UHS or Michigan Medicine?   

If students are tested for COVID-19 outside of University Health Service or Michigan Medicine, please report test results here. (updated 11/10/2020)

How do I participate in the UM Community Sampling and Tracking Program?
Students may participate in a free, opt-in, voluntary surveillance asymptomatic testing program open to students living on or off campus Sign Up Here

Quarantine or Isolation

Quarantining and isolating both help to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Learn the difference between the two preventative actions.View the graphic to learn how you can help protect yourself and others.

What's the difference between quarantine and isolation? 

Quarantining and isolation both help to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Review the difference between the two preventative actions (PDF) to learn how you can help protect yourself and others.

What if everyone in our house is required to quarantine? 

It is possible that everyone living in a chapter facility or annex/group-leased house could be directed by a physician or public health official to quarantine for 14 days. Some students may choose to go to their permanent homes in order to quarantine, however, those who cannot may need to quarantine at their off-campus house or apartment (quarantine-in-place) or request a University quarantine space.  See quarantine guidelines. 

FSL students who live in congregate housing and quarantine- in-place (at their local off-campus addresses) should notify their Fraternity & Sorority Life council advisor of the quarantine directive and provide an up to date list of residents who will quarantine at the address. The list should include students’ names, unique names, dates of birth, chapter affiliation, and cell phone numbers. It will also be helpful to know whether or not each resident has any in-person classes or other on-campus employment or activities. Guidance will be provided to each resident/student directly by phone or email. Groups of residents who quarantine-in-place should have a plan for getting food and supplies for the duration of their quarantine. In some cases, alumni advisors or members who live elsewhere may be able to assist. Students who cannot leave the area to quarantine and who do not wish to quarantine in place should request quarantine assistance from the University.


Chapter facilities:  Students who live in chapter facilities must notify their house director, chapter advisor, and/or house corporation when they are directed to quarantine. Each chapter facility’s management has determined how to handle quarantine or isolation for individual residents and in most cases, students who test positive for COVID-19 will not be able to isolate in these group living settings. Fraternity & Sorority Life staff can assist chapters and house corporations that have questions or need assistance with implementing quarantine plans.

Annexes / group-leased houses: Roommates or housemates of the person who tests positive for COVID-19, who have had close contact will be advised to immediately quarantine for 14 days, to self-monitor for any symptoms, and follow the guidance from UHS including consulting with a nurse or requesting an appointment with a doctor. 

How should we handle shared bathrooms and other common spaces in our home while in quarantine? 

Many off-campus group living spaces are not conducive to isolation so students who test positive for COVID-19 are directed to isolate elsewhere including considering whether going to their permanent home is the safest option. However, when multiple people  need to quarantine in-place, housemates should be very cautious at home, still practice social distancing with one another and take intentional steps to quarantine effectively including:

  • Designate which bathroom each resident will use during quarantine

  • Disinfect bathrooms after each use and other common surfaces and areas regularly

  • Wear face coverings at all times indoors

  • Don’t gather inside common spaces and practice social distancing in shared rooms

  • No outside guests should enter the home and all residents should only leave home to seek medical attention



I think I've been exposed to/have COVID-19, what should I do?

Visit Maize and Blueprint

Contact Tracing and Case investigation

What is contact tracing and why is it important?

Visit Maize and Blueprint 

Why is it important to provide detailed information to contact tracers if you test positive for COVID-19?

Visit Maize and Blueprint

What is case investigation and how is it done?

Visit Maize and Blueprint

How will I be notified if I have been in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19?

The individual who tests positive for COVID-19 may or may not contact you directly but Contact Tracing will be used within Washtenaw County. Students who have come into close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19 will be contacted by phone, and in some cases by e-mail by a contact tracer.  Please always answer the call and reply to any emails you receive from the Washtenaw County Health Department, the University of Michigan Environmental Health and Safety Unit, or University Health Services.  Contract Tracers provide directions to the person who has had close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, they will not provide the identity of that individual.


Compliance and Accountability 

What are the expectations about students socializing and gathering sizes right now? 

COVID-19 policies regarding gathering sizes expire July 1, 2021. Please see the Center for Campus Invovlement for current information and recommendations. Please note students who violate policies prior to July 1 may receive a warning, referral to OSCR or SOAR processes, or a citation from law enforcement.


How can I report COVID- concerns?



What is the Wolverine Culture of Care?


How do I report a concern?

Any concerns can be called into the COVID Concens Reporting Line at  734-647-3000.

I have additional questions.

Please find various addtional resrouces and contact information here.


We strongly advise everyone in the campus community to be in compliance with the established guidelines for reducing the spread of COVID-19 and to take good care of yourselves. Please direct any questions to [email protected]