Financial and Housing Information

The financial and any related housing obligations associated with membership in a fraternity or sorority are important to understand.  Knowing what the obligations are, and when these obligations occur, may impact a students decision making process. 

These obligations may include some or all of the following:

  • Pledge, initiation, intake and process fees

  • Dues and fines to local chapter, national organization, and council

  • Insurance fees

  • Requirement to live-in an organization chapter house and the associated costs

It is also important to know:

  • Each individual organization sets and collects their own fees and dues. 

  • Some organizations have requirements to live in a facility so understanding this when deciding on signing a lease is vital.

  • Obligations are just that, and may still be owed if a person chooses to disaffiliate from an organization.


Individual Organizational Financial Information

Interfraternity Council (IFC)

  • For more information click here

Multicultural Greek Council (MGC)

  • For more information please contact the specific chapter. Please note that detailed information may not be available until an individual meets chapter specific requirements.

National Panhellenic Council (NHPC)

  • For more information please contact the specific chapter. Please note that detailed information may not be available until an individual meets chapter specific requirements.

Panhellenic Association (Panhel)

Housing Information

Members of a fraternity or sorority living together is a once-in-a-lifetime experience Students may live in recognized chapter facilities or in rental houses or apartments. 

At Michigan, recognized chapter facilities are those owned or leased by a local alumni group or an inter/national organization.  Many of our chapter houses are historic buildings that are often an important part of the tradition of the chapter. These facilities can hold up to 70 members and services vary by facility.  They may offer meals, whether that is a personal chef or catering service, wifi, study spaces, lounging areas, and much more.

Housing options vary between each fraternity and sorority. The costs and live-in requirements also vary.  It is important to consider if a desired organization has a facility before signing a lease in case there is a live-in policy. 

For information on individual Panhellenic Chapter house requirements click here.

Financial FAQs

What do dues cover?

Dues typically cover items such as chapter programming, membership engagement activities, insurance fees, 

Is there financial assistance for general fees available?

Some organizations may offer some one-time assistance or payment plans but students should plan for fees and fully understand the financial costs associated with membership.

Why might I owe money after I disaffiliate or am no longer affiliated with an organization.

A student should expect to owe for anything that was due prior to an official resignation of membership.  We suggest that if an individual decides to resign membership that it is done in writing and confirmation of acceptance is received.  A student may be liable for anything owed prior to the official disaffiliation.

What might I be fined for?

Students may be fined for missing mandatory events, not following organizational policies, or for housing related damages.


Housing FAQ’s

Is living in a chapter facility a requirement? 

Not all fraternities or sororities have organizationally operated facilities.  Those that do, may have a requirement.  

  • All Panhellenic chapters have a policy that requires the chapter facility to be at capacity before any member may live elsewhere.  What this looks like for each chapter is different but students interested in joining a Panhellenic sorority are encouraged not to sign another lease until the end of primary recruitment. 

  • IFC chapters may or may not have a requirement so it is important to ask when exploring options.


When should I sign a lease?

If you are interested in an organization or are a member of an organization that has a chapter facility, you should wait until your obligation to live in is fully understood. In general, the university suggests that students wait to sign leases.  See this informational video.

Will there be spaces available if I wait to sign a lease but end of not joining an organization?

Research has shown there is plenty of available housing in Ann Arbor in February. In addition, FSL works with University Housing to attempt to align the housing application process with formal recruitment processes.

Is there financial assistance for room and board available?

Financial Aid might be able to be used for fraternity or sorority housing costs but a student should check the individual plan for verification.

What does it cost to live in?

Room and board can be a bargain, averaging less than it costs to live in a double or single in a residence hall. Detailed information on Panhellenic chapter facilities can be found here.

Who oversees the day to day operations of recognized chapter facilities?

Chapter facilities are owned and operated either by a local alumni board or the inter/national headquarters.  Housing leases vary by organization, and all contracts and issues are handled by the designated “landlord” aka local or national housing board.

Who do I contact with questions about a lease or room and board?

Questions about finances and chapter billing invoices should be directed to the appropriate collegiate officer or alumni representative.